Documents Needed for a Chinese Working Visa

Eleanor Boniface
Career China Digital Marketing Manager
Jun 6, 2019

Getting a Chinese working visa isn't as difficult as it may seem. However, it does require some advanced preparation -- in particular, when it comes to preparing documents that are required for getting your China Work Permit (the first step before you can apply for your Chinese working visa). This process may take some time, so the Career China team may advise you to begin preparing these documents in advance.

Documents to Begin Your Visa Process

Here is a checklist of what you will need to prepare - once you have signed your job offer, you will move to the Visa process with these documents:


Provide a clear scanned color copy of your passport information/bio and signature pages, it should be a full two-page scan (do not use your phone, must be scanned).

Original passport with at least a year of remaining validity at the time of visa application and with at least three blank visa pages

No damage (no stains, blotches, smudges, blots and etc.) 

No pages missing

**Learn more about How to Get a U.S. Passport

***Learn more about How To Get A Passport: Native English Speaking Countries Other Than The U.S.

Once we begin the process of the Working Permit application, the passport cannot be changed until the Z Visa is completed.


A clear resume with your education and working background is necessary, it should include;

  • Email address
  • Hometown address
  • Phone number
  • Working background
  • Education background (high school info, start & end month included)


A. Bachelor’s degree Certificate

Provide a clear scan color copy of your bachelor’s degree, it should state:

  • Subject of degree
  • Full name (same as your passport name)

B. Bachelor’s degree Transcripts

Electronic copy or clear scanned color copy of your bachelor’s transcript papers, this should include;

  • Subject of degree
  • Student ID

C. TEFL Certificate

Provide a clear scanned color copy of the TEFL certificate, it must be of 120 hours (no less), it cannot have ‘online’ written on the certificate if it was completed online.

  • The name on your TEFL must be exactly the same as the name on your passport.
  • If you do not have a TEFL certificate yet, our Career Consultant will provide you with a TEFL partner that Career China work with and you can complete your TEFL through them. They will help you to do the authentication step for the TEFL, you just need to complete it, the rest is taken care of.
  • If you have a TEFL already you can provide a clear scanned colour copy and your visa Advisor or Case Manager will provide the steps in order to authenticate it.


Photo Requirements

Your visa application photo must meet certain criteria regarding size and content. Submitting photos that do not meet these criteria will delay the visa application process. Digital photos must have been taken within the last six months, and must meet the guidelines shown in the image below:

Important Photo Points:

  • Be sure your entire head is visible & you are facing forward, mouth closed, eyes open.
  • Ears must be visible
  • Nothing should be covering your head or face, such as a hat or sunglasses
  • Professional dress, clean look of face & hair
  • Background should be white or close to white with no borders
  • Photo must be taken within the last 6 months

Learn more about Taking Your Chinese Visa Photo: Do's and Don'ts!

Once you have provided all of these documents to your Career Consultant, you will be moved onto the Visa process. You will be assigned a Visa Advisor or Case Manager; they will email you with a list of documents you need to provide (every country is slightly different).

Documents needed for the Working Permit:


This is only applicable for US Citizens.


There are two medical forms that you may need to fill out.

Must fill out: Medical consent letter

This form is to confirm you for the health requirements as defined by the employer, you must understand the regulations of the China Entry-Exit Bureau to get your full Physical Examination in china within 48 hours upon arrival.

For some Chinese cities: Physical examination form

This form is for your local doctor to fill out, it provides basic health information about yourself. You do not need to fill out the X-ray, ECG or Blood Tests, this can still be completed in China.

Please note, you will need to complete a full Physical Examination in China, this will cost around 630RMB.


Candidate must have a physical examination for the Chinese visa application (child under 18 years old is exempt).

It is preferred that you have the physical examination in a hospital authenticated by the Chinese Embassy or a big public hospital in your home country.

The Physical Examination Report is valid for 6 months from the date issued.

The standard health examination form needs to be used for the exam, and the 4 following original report documents are required:

A.     HIV test

B.      Syphilis/Wasserman test

C.      X-ray of chest (X-ray plates or a separate report are required, CD won’t be accepted)

D.     ECG(Electrocardiograph)

The photo attached to the Standard form must be stamped and signed by the doctor. The reverse side of this form must also be stamped and signed by the Doctor. Please sign on each page of the separate reports with hospital as well.


Please note that only a qualified report will be accepted by the Chinese authorities and must be verified in China directly. Otherwise, another checkup will be required while you are in China.


A. Non-Criminal Background Check (CBC)

It must be valid within 6 months of applying for your Working Permit. Authenticating this document is different for every country, please see notes below:

US Citizens: must get from the FBI, provide an FBI fingerprint card. You can fill out the FBI request form and mailing list documents that are sent to you by Career China.

UK Citizens: Background check we recommend:

  • DBS:
  • ACRO:
  • Disclosure Scotland

SA (South African) Citizens: provide a Clearance certificate that is authenticated by your local Chinese Embassy or Consulate.

CA (Canadian) Citizens: provide an authenticated Non-Criminal Background Check from RCMP, we will provide a sample for you to follow in an email from your Visa Advisor or Case Manager.

IRE (Ireland) / NZ (New Zealand) / AUS (Australian) Citizens: All citizens of these countries follow the same process, provide a Non-Criminal Background Check that is authenticated by the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate.

Official websites recommended to apply for a criminal background check:


or certificates issued by local police department or department of Justice high court.

It is recommended, for ease, to use the national FBI check unless told otherwise by a visa advisor.




B. Bachelor’s Degree Certificate

There are two different options to authenticate this document, this depends on the country you are from.

Provide a scan color copy to Career China to authenticate in China:

US, UK, CA, IRE, NZ, AUS can all provide a scanned colour copy of the degree certificate to get it authenticated in China.

Authenticate degree in your home country:

SA (South African) Citizens: it is fast to authenticate by Chinese Embassy or Consulate in SA than to authenticate in China, details will be given by Visa Advisor or Case Manager.

If for any reason you cannot authenticate your degree in China, your Visa Advisor or Case Manager will provide you with details on how you can authenticate your degree in your home country.

C.  TEFL Certificate

There are two options for this document depending on which TEFL provide you use.

1. Career China TEFL partner:

All Career China TEFL partner providers will authenticate the certificate for you. To apply, you will need to be enrolled by your Visa Advisor, you must state you would like to join our partner TEFL program and complete the TEFL. Once you complete the TEFL, the provide will authenticate the certificate for you and mail it to Career China. The certificate is then provided to you in China.

2. Other TEFL provider:

If you already have a TEFL or use a different provider, you will need to authenticate this yourself. Details of this will be given by your Visa Advisor or Case Manager, these can usually be authenticated by your local Chinese Embassy or Consulate.


This document is necessary if your degree or TEFL certificates do not have the same exact name that is disclosed on your passport (this includes if your passport has a middle name on it).

This is only accepted by some cities in China, you must check with your Visa Advisor or Case Manager if the city you are applying for can accept it. If not, you may have to obtain an updated copy of your documents from your provider.


This document applies if you have two years consecutive working experience in the field of work you are applying for in China.

Sample as attached below

Requirements may vary, depending on the region or temporary stricter policy, so we advise you listen carefully to your Visa Adviser or Case manager and follow their instructions. 

Learn more about the Chinese Visa process with The Ultimate Guide for Moving to China

Recommended for you
Latest Posts