Anshan is the third largest prefecture-level city in the Liaoning province of China. The name of the city was obtained from the nearby mountain’s shape which had great resemblance to the shape of a horse's saddle. The city covers a total area of approximately 9, 252 km2 band has a population of about 3, 584,000 people.
Strategically set in the central part of the province, the city of Anshan lies on the boundary between the plains of the west and the Mountains of eastern Liaoning. It is located approximately 92 km to the south of Shenyang which is Liaoning's capital. This area is home to the famous Jade Buddha Palace Temple, the Qianshan Park National Park, and the Tangangzi Hot Spring Spa. The area is also home to the well-known Anshan Iron & Steel Group which is among the largest producers of steel in China.
The city of Anshan is made up of a total of 4 districts which include Tiexi, Tiedong, Lishan, and Qianshan.
• Tiedong District is the main business district of Anshan and also the seat of the government of Anshan. With a total of 452, 900 people, it is evident that the city is liked by both the locals and expats living in Anshan China. Tiedong has 12 sub-districts which include Dongchangdian Sub-district, Changdian Sub-district, Hunan Sub-district, Changqing Sub-district, Jiefang Sub-district, Shannan Sub-district, Yuanlin Sub-district, Shengli Sub-district, Zhanqian Sub-district Sub-district, Gangcheng Sub-district, Heping Sub-district, and Duilu Sub-district.
• Tiexi District is located to the southwest of Anshan and is where Anshan’s main Steel Plant Company is in. The district has about 311, 600 people and a total of 11 sub-districts namely Yongle Sub-district, Gonghe Sub-district, Xingsheng Sub-district,Bajiazi Sub-district,Qiming Sub-district, Fanrong Sub-district, Xintao Sub-district, Dalu Sub-district, Beitaoguan Sub-district, Nanhua Sub-district, Yongfa Sub-district, and Qianshan sub-district.
• Qianshan District is half rural and half city suburb and is also a nice place to live in. The district houses 366, 200 people and has 2 sub-districts namely Jiubao Sub-district and Dagushan Sub-district and a total of 7 towns.
• Lishan District of Anshan houses more than 425, 600 people and has 8 subdistricts namely Lishan Sub-district, Youhao Sub-district, Shuangshan sub-district, Shuguang Sub-district, Lingshan Sub-district, Shenbei Sub-district, Shennan Su-bdistrict, Shahe Sub-district and only one town known as Shahe.
Anshan is well-linked to the rest of the cities nearby thanks to its well-developed transport system. This makes it very easy to enter and leave the city. The main transport options in Anshan include:
• By plane - Located 15 km from the city's centre, Anshan Teng'ao Airport is the main terminal and serves flights to and from cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Chengdu. In addition to this main terminal, there is also another terminal in Tiexi district and another smaller airport known as Yingkou Lanqi Airport.
• By road - Anshan can also be accessed from other cities by road. The city has two exits on the main Shenda Express-ay which runs between Dalian and Shenyang. In addition to this, Anshan can also be accessed using the Liaozhong Ring Express-way, the Danxi Express-way, and Jingha Express-way. You can choose to use the regular coaches which run from neighbouring cities to Anshan and pay about ¥25 or use a taxi which will cost approximately ¥150-200 each way.
• By train - Anshan has two major stations which include the new Anshan West station and the city centre Anshan Station. The old station handles the regular or slower trains while the new station handles the high-speed trains.
Getting around Anshan is also easy with the many available transportation options. Some of the most common ways of getting around Anshan include:
• By Trains - There are two major train stations that you can use to go around Anshan. The older station is for the regular trains while the new once is for high-speed trains.
• By Buses - Anshan also has an extensive network of buses that serves all areas. All routes that fall within Anshan’s built-up area cost ¥1 while routes beyond the city’s built-up area cost a little more. There is an android phone app that you can download and use to help you plan the bus routes.
• By Taxis - Taxis in Anshan are reasonably priced with the rates being 7 Yen for the first 3km and 2 Yen for each and every single additional km.
Anshan experiences four distinctive climatic seasons. The city of Anshan has a monsoon-influenced humid continental climate. The climate is characterized by quite hot and humid summers and considerably long and cold winters. Almost half of the rainfall that is experienced here annually falls between July and August while sunshine amounts to more than 2, 543 hours annually.
If you want to move to Anshan China, the most favorable time to visit is from May all the way up to September thanks to the warm summer climate. Visitors can also. However, you can also visit from December to February since the temperatures are also warm during this period.
With a history of more than 2000 years, the city of Anshan has been in existence since the prehistoric times. As such, you will find a wide variety of interesting things to do and see in the city. Some of the major attractions and things to do in the city include:
• Jade Buddha Temple – This temple is regarded as the world’s biggest Jade statue of the Buddha. The statue is carved from the largest single piece of Jade stone in the worlds which makes it a very impressive sight.
• Xiao Temple - Dating back to the Tang Dynasty, this temple is Liaoning’s only biggest ancient temple that is made of stone structures. Locally, it is referred to as the 'Old Temple'.
• 219 Park – Found in Yuanlin Lu, this is the largest and most famous park in the whole region. The 219 park contains acres of woodland areas that surround a series of lakes. This park is liked by the locals who frequent here to sing, dance, play music, and exercise.
• Dongshan Park – This Park starts right from the International Hotel and runs all the way to the 219 park where it ends. The park consists of series of a large network of small paths and covers more than 975 hectares of land. In the middle of the park, there is a tower where you can pay to rest as you take in the views of the surrounding beautiful environment.
• Lieshishan Park – This is another well known park found in the middle of the city of Anshan. From the top of the hill found in the park, you will be able to most of the city’s surrounding.
• Aviary – Located inside the Qianshan park, this is a large netted complex that features a wide variety of birds for viewing.
• Qianshan National Park – This national park is located to the south east of Anshan. The name of the park literally means 'thousand mountains' which is reflected by the impressive views that you get when you look up at the jagged peaks.
• Baiyunshan Mountain – This scenic area covers over 25 square kilometers and features more than 400 hills. The area also features the Tangmao Mountain which houses a large number of rare species of both plants and animals.
• Yaoshan Mountain – This Mountain is listed among the four prominent mountains that are found in Liaoning Province. The mountain is famous for having breathtaking scenery and growing over 200 species of medical herbs. There are also more than 50 unique hills and plenty of plants and animal species.
• Dongshan Amusement Park - Situated near Jade Buddha Temple, this amusement park features a large number of amusement rides throughout the year.
Anshan Country Club – Here, you will find golf clubs that are available for hire all through the year.
Anshan is well known for having a large number of Hot Spring Spas and Sanatoriums mostly in Qianshan district.
• Tanggangzi – This is the oldest and the most famous hot spring spa in the city. Most visitors like to go here and have a mud-treatment which involves their bodies being buried in hot volcanic sand that has already been infused with spring water.
Anshan has a number of clubs where expats in Anshan China go to hangout. Coco Club which is found in Leishan district Anshan is one of these places. Located near Leishan Park’s main entrance, it is a very lively night club with a bottle of beer going at just 20 Yen. Sun Club which is located near Silong shopping centre is another place that is loved by the locals. The club has a live band that plays every night and is the most popular music bar in the city. The cost of living is also very affordable in Anshan, which means you can do many things!
If you're looking to get connected with other people, check out these ways to meet other expats in China!
Overall, Anshan is a decent modern city that is relatively nice to live in. Although in the past it may have had a bad reputation of being a polluted industrial city, today things have really changed. The government has worked hard to ensure that the pollution is reduced considerably and the infrastructure is more developed. While it may not be the biggest city in Liaoning, it has pretty much everything that an expat could wish to have in a city.
Sign Up for Our Free Newsletters
Please submit in right format.
Thank you for signing up!
Sign Up for Our Free Newsletters
Please submit in right format.
Thank you for signing up!
Zhenjiang, a city in the Jiangsu Province, is a beautiful city near the Yangtze River famous for its scenic beauty. Learn more about this city and expat life here!
Even if you don't speak Chinese, it is still possible to live in China. Be prepared with these tips & Chinese phrases.
Learn all about the Chinese Qingming Festival and where expats travel during this holiday.