Getting a medical check done in China will be a different experience than getting one in your home country. If you’re a foreigner getting your medical check done in China, here are some important things to know that will help you prepare.
Before You Go To The Hospital For Your Medical Check
- The night before you go, try not to stay out too late, as you will have an early start in the morning.
- Do not drink any alcohol the night before, because you cannot have alcohol in your blood system for some of the examinations they will do
- Do not eat breakfast or drink anything the morning of the medical check
- Someone from the Career China arrival team will accompany you to the hospital to get the medical check done.
- It’s not a very difficult process, but depending on how many people are at the hospital it could take anywhere from 30 minutes to more than an hour.
- Dress comfortably – the medical check will involve an Xray, so usually skirts and dresses are not a good idea.
- If you are paying for your medical exam, you will need Chinese cash (RMB) to pay for the exams.
When You Arrive at the Hospital
You will have a checklist of examinations to complete for your medical exam in China. These procedures and tests might not be in the same area of the hospital, so you will probably have to change rooms and move around to complete all the items on the list.
You will usually need to complete the following examinations:
- Vision test
- Height and Weight check
- Blood test
- Urine Test
- Blood pressure check
- Pulse regularity check
- Stethoscope check for breathing regularity
Other Helpful Information to Know
Less Privacy - In Western countries, there is usually a certain level of privacy when you get a medical check done. In China, hospitals work to accommodate a larger number of people, so it’s not unusual to be in the same room as other people during the examinations, and the doctors may hurry you quickly during the process. It might seem strange at first, but it’s a very normal thing in China.
Other Articles About Health and Hospitals in China
Learn more about what you will need to do once you arrive in China! Check out The Ultimate Guide for Moving to China